Thursday 31 July 2014



Karibu Kenya #13: From Karibu to Kwaheri


My last week in Kenya prompted a wide range of emotions when I realized my two month stay was coming to a close. I decided to make the most of it by paying more attention to the things I would miss like Dinah’s chai, teaching the boys Spanish at the dining room table, Ethiopian food with Mim and Aimee, runs in Karura Forest, playing scrabble on Sundays with Sammy and Kennedy and going on walks in the evening around our neighborhood. Life is so much simpler in places like Kenya and I knew that was one of the reasons I would miss it most.


The Friday before I left, my friend Andrew called and we decided to grab dinner at Habesha. I hadn’t seen him in fourteen years and enjoyed the time we had to catch up on life. He is now a safari guide in Masai Mara, which is probably every adventurous boy’s dream. We spent a good amount of time talking about our professions which I found very similar—he works with wildlife and so do I.  That of course is strictly a comment made in jest and I think almost any teacher would agree that sometimes that’s just the way you feel. Needless to say, it is interesting to see where the Lord takes you and how He uses circumstances to shape you into the person he wants you to be. I never thought I’d leave Africa and never thought I’d be a teacher but the Lord has a sense of humor. As the night went on, we both laughed when sharing about our return experiences to the states. It is difficult adapting to a culture we were already expected to identify with, especially when you are used to eating with your hands, speaking in Swahili and saying things you think are normal such as “pass the rubber (eraser)” or “I just bought a pair of thongs (flip flops)”. People will never really get you and if you’re me, you will be constantly referenced and compared to the movie Mean Girls.  Just to clarify- third culture kids hate being compared to movies.  
 

I fought back tears on Saturday but was thankful for Grandma’s distraction when she asked me to play Boggle with her on the patio. I’m almost positive she let me win as some sort of attempt to make me feel better about having to leave in 4 days. My grandma never loses and I had never beaten her until that day. She claimed to have no ulterior motive, but deep down inside I knew the truth. Later on that evening Aimee, Sammy, Austen, Clapaton, Robbie and I went to get ice cream next to Nakumat. I soon realized that the combination of Boggle and ice cream couldn’t keep me from smiling.

Sunday brought with it my 26th year of life.  I can’t believe I’m four years away from 30! I still feel like I’m 12. We spent the morning at church before swinging by the store to pick up some boxed cake mixes. I know what you’re thinking—I’m a real Betty Crocker. After spending the early part of the afternoon baking, the boys came to the house for some celebratory popcorn while we watched the Amazing Spiderman 2 on bootleg in the living room. I have to say, I especially enjoyed the Japanese subtitles. By the time the movie was over, the cake was ready to ice. Aside from me accidentally turning off the oven which caused the cake to fall, it actually didn’t turn out half bad. I made sure to cover it heavily with sprinkles and we enjoyed it with ice cream out on the patio. It was a nice end to the day, not to mention I loved the 5 or 6 forced birthday hugs I got from the boys. My Aunt Chris’ birthday is 3 days after mine, so on Tuesday night we went to Anghiti’s Indian Restaurant over in Muthaiga to celebrate. I should probably mention that I am officially addicted to the Bhindi Masala. When we got back to the house, we opened our gifts. I was surprised to see that my grandma had bought the orange, leather, Masai purse I had been eyeballing from Spinner’s Web the last few weeks. She had mentioned earlier in the summer that she really liked my purse from the States so I decided we would make an even trade.  

Wednesday was my last official day as my flight departed at two in the morning on Thursday. After returning home from spending the afternoon with my friend Lydia,  I decided it would be a good idea to take a shower before my flight. It seemed as if I spent the entire day being reminded that this would be the last time doing everything: my last trip to Village Market with Aimee, my last coffee with grandma in her office, my last time bartering at the soko or my last morning waking up to the crow of that obnoxious rooster. By the time I made it to the shower, I couldn’t take it. After turning the knob, I wasn’t sure if more water was coming from my eyes or the shower head. In that moment I felt like the same the girl who left 14 years ago. Africa was still my home. I thought after all that time that my feelings would have changed but they hadn’t. I had buried my heart in Kenya and yet I was leaving it again.

After collecting my thoughts, I finished getting ready and was met by Dinah at my grandparent’s house. She had been waiting for me so that she could to say goodbye. Dinah has worked for our family for over 15 years and I can clearly remember the last time I had to say goodbye to her. We were at the Jomo Kenyatta Airport. I was crying about not wanting to go to America and she assured me that everything would be okay. She helped me fix my necklace that had come undone and I gave her a big hug. Although the airport setting had been traded for a living room couch, the situation hadn’t really changed. This time, however, she began to cry as well. After saying our goodbyes, we thought it would be a good idea to take a picture together with our now puffy faces—reminder  to apply a heavy filter.

Not long afterward, Grandpa and I had a similar moment.  Being the bawl bags that we are, we spent several minutes just hugging and crying. He gave me a kiss on the cheek and told me he loved me and I did the same. I know the majority of my blog has involved waterworks but I can’t help but describe these moments and how special they were. It’s hard leaving people you love. Saying bye to Grandma, the emotionally sound person in the family, is a bit easier. She simply smiled and gave me hug, which gave me the strength to get myself together.

At 10 o’clock Mim and Aimee packed my suitcases into the Voxy and we piled in the car for our last road trip of the summer. All I kept thinking was that the drive to the airport wasn’t long enough. I tried to enjoy the cold air on my face as we passed familiar places. I tried to be joyful in my circumstance. I tried to not think about what I was leaving behind but sometimes you have to put all logic aside and just feel your feelings.

Twenty-one hours of flying gave me plenty of time to think back on the summer. I am so thankful to have spent those two months in Kenya with my family and am hopeful that there will be another opportunity for me to go back soon. It has now been a week and I have yet to fully adjust to my life in Tennessee. My hair simply doesn’t know what to do with itself after being blow-dried for the first time in two months, I’ve had a strange desire to wash my clothes by hand and hang them on the line, I found myself bartering before paying for my pictures at Walgreens, I keep saying “ama” and “mmm” in almost every conversation and I keep wearing sweaters while drinking several cups of hot tea. Pretty sure these are all normal symptoms of re-adjusting. If only I wanted to adjust. I close this blog with a favorite poem I read while in Kenya. I hope you have enjoyed keeping up with me on my adventure. It has truly been a safari I’ll never forget.  Kwaheri.

Leaving Africa

I saw a shore strange

And yet familiar in its shape

An end to my confinement

A leap across a dark ocean.

 

I felt the ache again

To jump from the plane

Wanting to go home

And touch the earth of Africa.

 

I have to leave a shady ground

Relax my cramped legs

Try to fill the emptiness

Gained in farewell to birthplace.

 

My heart thumps with fear

Because I expect to reach

Another haven

A first time, another time.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment